For more than 40 years the Inland Waterways Protection Society (IWPS) worked to save and restore this complex of canal loading and transhipment basins in the Derbyshire Peak District. Now a Scheduled Ancient Monument (County Monument #242) and with restoration largely complete, the role of IWPS became one of managing and promoting Bugsworth as a destination venue, attracting more than 50,000 visitors a year. Hence the change to the Bugsworth Basin Heritage Trust (BBHT, Registered Charity #513405).
The aim of the Trust for the restoration and development of Bugsworth Basin is to:
- Provide navigation for licensed canal craft off the national canal system
- Protect and maintain the landscaped environment
- Encourage an educational interest in the archaeology and history of the Ancient Monument
- Protect and maintain the built environment
- Provide basic facilities for the general public to undertake passive recreational pursuits within the boundary of the land under the control of the Trust within Bugsworth and to encourage consolidation of satellite historical sites in Bugsworth for better understanding of the history of the village
- Provide all of this, wherever possible, without charge except for special functions or events
- Manage the site for the safe enjoyment of the public
- Encourage at all times the use of the site by as many diverse but compatible interests as possible
- These are the stated aims of the Trust and endorsed by the Governing Council of Management and by which all members have agreed to be bound
The newsletter of the Bugsworth Basin Heritage Trust is called Basin News.
The old Inland Waterways Protection Society magazine was known as 174, and was edited by Don Baines for 32 years. An archive of the old newsletters is available from archive.bugsworthbasin.org/pages/news.htm.
Support Bugsworth Basin by becoming a member. Your membership is invaluable to us. When the Trust apply for funding every extra member adds weight to the bid. Just by joining you could assist us to gain considerable grants.
Download a membership form.
Blackbrook House and Shop
Open every day, Blackbrook House is the Site Office of BBHT, also containing the toilet, sluice room, water point and garbage disposal bins.
The Peak Forest Canal Company (PFCC) was originally incorporated on 28 March 1794 but ceased trading in 1927 with the closure of Bugsworth Basin. In 1998, the company was resurrected by members of the Inland Waterways Protection Society, and now acts as trading arm of the Bugsworth Basin Heritage Trust. The PFCC sell a variety of items, including souvenirs, guides and books, a selection of chandlery for the boater, and Bradwell’s award winning ice-cream. All profits are transferred in their entirety to the General Restoration Fund of the BBHT. The shop is located in Blackbrook House.
Visit the shop’s new site at bugsworthbasinshop.weebly.com.
Two of our members are building a replica PFT Wagon. There is only one still in existence, at the National Railway Museum at York. We have full construction drawings, and at least four original wheels and many bits and pieces salvaged from dredgings. The timber used will be planks sawn from redundant oak lock gate balance beams courtesy of the Canal & River Trust. Once the replica is complete, it will be sited here at Bugsworth Basin as a monument to Bugsworth’s bygone history.